Do you have goals? What kind of goals do you have?
I think we can all agree that having goals is incredibly important to being successful in whatever it is you are trying to achieve. It helps to have something to work towards instead of going along with no destination in mind.
But, do you have the right kind of goals?
Having goals is very important and having the right kind of goals is just as important.
Let’s talk about the two types of goals.
- “I want to lose 20 lbs. by Christmas.”
- “I want to run a 5K in under 23 minutes.”
- “I want to write a book in 2018.”
These type goals do not make sense because LIFE HAPPENS. The world is pretty uncontrollable. You can’t make your body lose 20 pounds on command any more than you can make sure your house is worth a certain amount when you sell it. In other words, you can’t control the outcome.
However, you can control your BEHAVIOR:
- “I will run 4 times every week focusing on increasing my running intervals.”
- “I will diligently track my food, exercise, and work on my new habit every week.”
- “I will write 1000 Words A Day.”
Notice how all of the behavior goals are a commitment to do a specific set of actions or tasks that lead to the outcome you want.
You can’t always control the outcome but you can always control the behavior. Click To Tweet
So here’s your assignment for the next couple days….
1) Write down what you would like to achieve in your fitness journey.
2) What can you do this MONTH to help you achieve your future goal (BEHAVIOR goals)?
3) What can you do this WEEK to achieve your future goal?
4) What can you do TODAY to achieve your future goal?
These are all BEHAVIOR goals.
I would love to hear some of your goals!
It is okay to under-estimate. It is better to meet small goals consistently and add up to big goals.
How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. 🙂
You will see how all these behaviors will ultimately help you achieve your outcome goal but in controllable and achievable steps that are kinder to your overall being.
Stock image credit: