I am embarking on a year-long journey to challenge myself out of a self-imposed box and utilizing the structure of 30-Day Challenges to do that. That is a total of twelve months with twelve challenges. Each challenge will be thoughtfully and prayerfully considered and chosen specifically for me. That being said I have a hunch that there are a lot of other people who would benefit from these challenges as well.
Let me tell you about some of the criteria I am using to pick my challenges.
- The challenge must address an area of my life that I know could use major improvement but I’m either too lazy or too scared to work on it.
- The challenge must force me to dig deep in mind and soul to finish it.
- The challenge can be something new or it can be something I’ve attempted many times before with little to no success.
- The challenge must be approved of by my family because I already know some of these challenges are going to affect them in small or even large ways.
- The challenge must require that I drop the ego, be humble, and be teachable in order to gain every bit of goodness and insight out of it.
I am going into this will a lot of excitement and a lot of nervousness. I’ve already said that I have always hated change. It doesn’t matter if it is positive or negative change. I just hate it. That is a personality quirk that needs to CHANGE! The fear and hatred of change have kept me stagnant and not pursuing my biggest dreams. It is time to move on.
I am starting the first challenge officially on July 30th. I was debating starting on August 1 because that works so nicely as the first day of the month. Ultimately, the beauty of starting on a MONDAY won out. Don’t we always start challenges on Mondays?!
The first challenge is:
Hand Write a Full Chapter Of Scripture Every Day For 30 Days.A Year of 30-Day Challenges: Challenge One - Hand Write A Chapter of Scripture A Day Click To Tweet
I am not new to hand copying Scripture. I have adopted this practice several times before. I love copying Scripture because it forces me to slow down and take in God’s Word one word at a time.
What’s new is that I have NEVER copied Scripture consistently for more than a week at a time. It has always been something that I start with great energy and then allowed to fizzle out rather quickly.
As much as I love my relationship with Christ and His Word, I confess that I am terribly inconsistent with my Scripture reading and prayer time. It comes in fits and starts.
I am constantly having conversations with my Savior but rarely do I sit down to read and soak in His Word.The grass withers, the flowers fade, but the word of our God will stand forever. ~ Isaiah 40:8 Click To Tweet
To follow through with the Challenge Criteria going from a few verses here and there to a full chapter a day is going to force me to dig deep to finish it.
I will have to make the time to sit down and write and that will mean I have to give up other activities to ensure I have the time.
I will have to be fully present with the Word to ensure I copy correctly and doing so will force me to be humble and teachable as I allow the Word to sink in as I write.
Here are the practical details to the Copy 1 Chapter of Scripture A Day Challenge
- Length: 30 days
- Start: July 30
- Bible Translation: ESV (English Standard Version)
- If you are choosing to join me in this first challenge you are welcome to use whatever translation you wish. My church uses the ESV so I will stick with that for consistency’s sake.
- Books to be copied:
- Romans – 16 Chapters (Yes, I am going super deep right off the bat)
- Galatians – 6 chapters
- Ephesians – 6 chapters
- Philippians – 4 chapters
- Yes, this adds up to 32 chapters. But, who’s counting? * wink *
- Feel free to copy however you choose. I am choosing to systematically copy full books because I need the discipline to stick to a full book instead of jumping around to prevent boredom. You do what works for you.
- 3-ring binder
- Notebook paper
I am stoked and ready to go!!!
How about you? Will you be joining me in this challenge? Let me know in the comments!!!
This post contains affiliate links